Walkers Welcome & Cyclist Welcome are two initiatives set in the UK so that tourists who engage in hiking or biking excursions can identify what accommodations offer quality services that are tailored to their particular needs.
Quality in Tourism (QiT), acts as the official regulator body for VisitEngland, and is entrusted with monitoring the quality of British establishments. Over 18,000 accommodation businesses are assessed annually across eleven different schemes, making VisitEngland (in conjunction with Quality in Tourism) the largest provider of quality assessment in England. Walkers Welcome i Cyclist Welcome follow a type of (QIT) scheme that provides certain facilities or services to welcome specific groups.
In 2002 British tourists made approximately 26 million cycling trips in England. These figures show the need to annually update the quality of assessment of accommodations for this type of tourist.
In order for an accommodation to meet the standards set by Walkers Welcome & Cyclist Welcome, these must follow a series of criteria
Facilities and Services:
- A separate space should be available for drying outdoor clothing and footwear, so clothes can dry overnight. (Walkers & Cyclist)
- Lockable undercover area for safe overnight storage of bicycles and panniers, with an unobstructed entrance. (Cyclist)
- Access to water point for washing bicycles and outdoor clothing.(Cyclist)
- In serviced accommodation hot and cold drink making equipment and ingredients should be provided or beverages to be served on request. (Walkers & Cyclist)
- In serviced accommodation evening meal available if no eating facilities within one mile. (Walkers & Cyclist)
- In serviced accommodation early or packed breakfast available (from 7.00am) (continental acceptable) if notiﬁed the night before. (Walkers & Cyclist)
- Details of nearest cycle hire outlets and cycle repair/spares shops available. (Walkers & Cyclist)
- Details of nearest doctor, dentist, hospital, and all night chemist and vets (if pet accepted).
- Maps and books available for reference on cycling in the area/details of local and regional cycling routes and organisations. (Walkers & Cyclist)
Article: DCB Tourism and Local Development @DCBTurisme